This Challenger carriage has been the centerpiece of the Hurdle Mill Package on over 450 mills. This carriage is standard on the Hurdle HeavyWeight Mill Package. With its proven, simple design along with several options, this carriage is a large part of the success of the Hurdle Sawmill.
Carriages Available in Three Lengths
2 KneeChallenger Carriage for cutting ties, pallet lumber, and custom products up to 12' in length. Very fast.
3 KneeChallenger Carriage for cutting grade, ties, sending cants to resaw, or specialty products up to 16-18' in length. Very versatile.
4 KneeChallenger Carriage for cutting mat material, long timbers, or other specialty products up to 30' in length.
HeavyWeight Challenger Features
- Carriage weight: approx. 4000 lbs
- Tough 5 x 5 x 1/2" Tubular Steel Frame
- 36" Knee Openings (40" openings optional)
- Two position tapers (3") on each knee
- Two position cushioned straight line-action air dogs (22" opening) provide maximum performance while allowing easy maintenance
- Bolt-on top dog bit - both top and bottom dog bits made from 4140 alloy steel
- 3" up/down cylinder - 3" in/out cylinder
- 1" tie rods
- 3/8" headblock sidewalls
- 3/4" Base wear plates (3/4" thick x 3 1/2" wide)
- 1 15/16" diameter setshaft with roller chain driven knees (#100 chain)
- 2 1/2" 1045 steel axles - 48" track centers - 12" wheels
- Large dial opening indicator shows knee position
- Shock pads where trucks mount to frame
- Ratchet Type cable tightener
- Easily replaceable wear strips
- Simple air valve (Mac Valves) arrangement with diagnostic lamps
- Accurate hydraulic setworks - 3 setworks options
HeavyWeight Challenger Options
Cant TurnersFastest, easiest way to turn logs - easy on carriage - one turner available per headblock
Hammer DogDouble-bit Hammer Dog grips big logs from top and bottom
- Cambox - Our tried and true mechanical setworks - 4 sets
- NanoSet - Simple PLC setworks - 6 sets - adjust without leaving sawyer's seat
- Computer Set - 8 sets, cants, fill boards - 8 stacks